FAQ Topic: Building permits

Can I search for permits?

Yes, under Helpful Resources select Search For Permits. If you need help, please use our permit search guide here.

What is a Notice of Commencement (NOC) and when do I need one?

Notice of Commencement (N.O.C.) – Notice that improvements will be made to certain real property. When this form is required, the form needs to be recorded with the Clerk of the Circuit Court and then submitted to Building Services before any inspections can be scheduled.

Must I place street numbers on my house or business?

Yes, these are required under City Ordinance Sec. 14-1. They must be on the front of the building or over the front entrance. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetical letters. Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) high with a minimum stroke width … Continued

How long is a permit valid?

A permit is valid for six months from the date of issuance, or from the last approved inspection date. If the project is dormant for six months, then the permit is expired. A permit may be extended only by the Building Official with a submitted written request.

Do I need a permit for a driveway or pavers?

A building permit is required for a new or an extension of a driveway. Also, you must comply with all zoning and environmental regulations. You can contact a zoning representative at 727-391-9951 ext. 283.

At what stage of construction can I get my power turned on?

Power will not be released under most circumstances until the building has received all required inspections and all fees due are paid. We do issue what is known as temporary power for specific items that require testing prior to occupancy.

Can I pull my own permit? What work can I do as an owner?

When building or improving one-family or two-family residences on such property for the occupancy or use of such owners and not offered for sale or lease, or building or improving commercial buildings, at a cost not to exceed $500 on such property for the occupancy or use of such owners and not offered for sale … Continued

Why do I need a permit?

Per Chapter 1 of the Florida Building Code and section 553.79 (1), Florida Statutes: Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy or occupant content of a building or structure, or any outside area being used as part of the building’s designated occupancy (single … Continued

Close window