Custodian of Public Records
Custodian of Public Records
The City Clerk is the City of Madeira Beach custodian of public records and is responsible for their safety (Sec. 5.2, City Charter). Section 119.011(5), F.S. stipulates that the phrase "custodian of public records" is statutorily defined as the elected or appointed official charged with the responsibility of maintaining the office having public records, or his or her designee.
Section 119.07, F.S. stipulates that "Every person who has custody of a public record shall permit the record to be inspected and copied by any person desiring to do so, at any reasonable time under reasonable conditions and under supervision by the custodian of the public records."
Florida courts have stated that the statutory reference to the records custodian does not alter the "duty of disclosure" imposed by the public records law upon "[e]very person who has custody of a public record." Thus, the term "custodian" for purposes of the law refers to all city employees who have it within their power to release or communicate public records.
Exemptions Could Apply
Section 119.07, F.S. stipulates that if the person who has custody of a public record contends that all or part of the record is exempt from inspection and copying, he or she shall state the basis of the exemption that he or she contends is applicable to the record, including the statutory citation to an exemption created or afforded by statute.
- F.S. 119.071, General exemptions for inspection or copying of public records.
- F.S. 119.071 (d) A person who has custody of a public record who asserts that an exemption applies to a part of such record shall redact that portion of the record to which an exemption has been asserted and validly applies, and such person shall produce the remainder of such record for inspection and copying.
- F.S. 119.07 (e). If the person who has custody of a public record contends that all or part of the record is exempt from inspection and copying, he or she shall state the basis of the exemption that he or she contends is applicable to the record, including the statutory citation to an exemption created or afforded by statute.
Public records are available upon request for inspection or copying pursuant to Chapter 119, Florida Statutes website, and Article I, Section 24 of the State Constitution website. Some public records are available for viewing and downloading on the City of Madeira Beach website in the Document Center, such as Agendas, Minutes, Ordinances, Resolutions, budget information, City Charter, and Code of Ordinances.
CUSTODIAN OF PUBLIC RECORDS CONTACT INFORMATION:
Clara VanBlargan, MMC, MSM, City Clerk
City of Madeira Beach City Hall
300 Municipal Drive
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
(727) 391-9951, ext. 231
How to request a Public Record
A public records requests to the Custodian of Public Records can be made anonymous, by email, phone, mail, in person or by clicking the JustFOIA Link below. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to the City of Madeira Beach.
If any costs apply to producing public records requested, the costs must be paid in advance of receiving the documents.
Who do I ask for a Public Record?
- All non-medical and Sheriff’s Office records requests, click the JustFOIA link.
- All medical records requests goes through Pinellas EMS, see link below
- All Pinellas County Sheriff's Office records requests goes through the Sheriff's Office, see link belo