Boards, Commissions, and Committees are a valuable part of the local government process. The members are volunteers and provide a great service to the City and to the community. Duties and responsibilities include assisting in the review of City’s policies and procedures, Code of Ordinances, and the City Charter, and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners.
Current Advisory Boards:
- City Planning Commission
- Civil Service Commission
The City Planning Commission is establish by City Charter, Section 12.2. The City Planning Commission is consist of seven citizen members who make recommendations to the City Manager and the Board of Commissioners on all matters affecting the physical development of the City, shall be consulted on the comprehensive plan and the implementation thereof and shall exercise all other responsibilities as may be provided by law or may be assigned to them by the Board of Commissioners from time to time.
The Civil Service Commission is established by City Charter, Section 5.7. The Civil Service Commission consist of five citizen members. The primary functions include serving as the employee grievance hearing board and preparing personnel rules for adoption by the Board of Commissioners. The rules include, but not limited to:
- A pay plan for all classified City positions; methods for determining the merits and fitness of candidates for appointment or promotions;
- Policies and procedures regulating reduction in force, demotion, suspension and removal of employees;
- The hours of work, attendance regulation and provisions for sick and vacation leave;
- Grievance procedures, including procedures for the hearing of grievances by the Civil Service Commission, which may render advisory opinions based on its findings to the City Manager with a copy to the aggrieved employee. In this respect the Civil Service Commission shall have the power to issue subpoenas to compel attendance by witnesses and to administer oaths;
- Other practices and procedures necessary to the administration of the City personnel system;
- In connection with the aforementioned personnel rules, the Civil Service Commission shall inquire into the implementation of such personnel rules as considered necessary to ensure compliance therewith.
Contact the City Clerk for additional information and if you are interested in serving on one of these boards, please fill out a board application and send it to the City Clerk. To download the board application, click the Link below.
Clara VanBlargan, MMC, MSM, City Clerk
727-391-9951, ext. 231