As hurricane season approaches it is important to make a plan. Take a look the list and links below to help create yours!
*Under disaster conditions and the following recovery operations, access to Madeira Beach will be restricted to persons with identification showing they are a resident or property owner. Emergency access permits are available to Madeira Beach Residents and Business Owners, sign up here.
*Receive alerts about emergencies and other important community news by signing up for Alert Pinellas.
Make a Plan Month
- Make an Evacuation Plan
- Know Your Evacuation Zone
- Make a plan with and without local shelters open (*with COVID-19 shelters may not be available, consider a friends house or hotel)
- Information on Pinellas County Shelters, Host Homes, and Local Hotels
- Special Needs Evacuation- Register here for special needs evacuation help
- Pets- Even pets will need to be evacuated- List of pet friendly shelters and other options
- Build a Kit
- Senior Population Evacuation Plan
- Renter's Flood Insurance:
- It is important for even Renters to get flood insurance!
- Loss of Use Rider:
- Loss of use coverage covers any additional living expenses, meaning any necessary expense that exceeds what you normally spend.
- FEMA 50% rule:
- The NFIP requires communities to adopt policy prohibiting the substantial improvement of pre-FIRM homes, that is, homes that are not built above the base flood elevation.
- A project is a substantial improvement if the improvement project exceeds the 50% market value of the building.
- FEMA calculates the value of the property by separating the land from the structure.
- For instance, if the structure is valued at $100,000 then the “not to exceed” amount would be $50,000.
- The project would be considered a substantial improvement project if it exceeds 50 percent of the value of the structure.
- pcpao.org Search by address, name or parcel ID. Click on the Parcel Info link to open page. Upper right hand corner: click on FEMA/WLM link to get the “not to exceed” (50%) amount.